Earth Hour is a global initiative that has seen as many as 172 countries come together to power down and bring awareness to climate change. Typically Earth Hour takes place between 8:30pm and 9:30pm (local time) on the last Saturday in March.
Since many of us leave the office on a Friday and don’t return until Monday morning, how can you ensure your business is doing what it can to participate? Here are a few ideas.
- Fully power down your laptop or computer
- Turn off your monitor
- Unplug any small appliances (kettle, toaster, microwave, etc).
- Power down printers and any other large office machines that won’t be in use
- Turn off any interior lights that are not required for safety or security
- Turn off or limit exterior lighting, again keeping in mind safety and security
- Spread the word! Communicate within your office so that everyone remembers to power down before they leave. It might be helpful to set a reminder in your email calendar or on your phone.
Is your office participating in Earth Hour? Tell us in the comments below what you are doing around the office to promote energy efficiency.
To find out more about Earth Hour, visit: https://www.earthhour.org/ or get involved in the conversation on social media: #Connect2Earth.